Monday, January 11, 2010

Hello 2010, goodbye typing 00 years.

Very belated post as always. Lately I only go here if there is something on my mind and I can't get it off. I guess that's what venting is and why blogs are good for venting.

2009 finished with so many things I could fill several pages. Anyways here are some highlights of 2009 (the ending months.) It's still a marathon post, but considering that I neglected to update my blog the last several months, I guess it evens out.

Late October?, I got a new job. I work at the Mall of America, in Bloomington, MN. Not only do I work there but I also work for the mall. I find that pretty cool. Even if MOA is no longer the biggest mall in America, it is still considered a landmark of a sort. It's kind of a nifty thing to brag about I guess. Not everyone can say they actually work for such a great place and see it printed on their paycheck stubs. Not to mention one huge thing. I get paid $9 an hour. For an "entry level" job, this is nothing to sneeze at. I work part time, so it's not like I am wealthy by any means, but it's nice that I am able to actually save up for the DSLR camera I really want/need. Plus I can a few other odds and ends that I wouldn't otherwise be able to get. New shoes, bath stuff, accessories, Christmas gifts for my family. Not to mention the basic can't live without items. The list goes on.

I also get the fun chance to meet a variety of people, some of them rather interesting characters (to say the least.) The stuff we sell, IMHO is over priced, taxed up the wazoo, but considering how much employees get paid (full time workers also appear to get some medical benefits) and the rather slow business I've been getting, it probably evens out. So next time you have to pay about $20 for a set of photos and some key chains, maybe this can help put the price into perspective. (cheapest photo deal is presently $10.66, including tax. You get a choice between a 6x8, two 4x6, or 4 wallets. If you find a coupon you can get a single 6x8 print at half the price.)

Nevertheless, I'm hired as a "seasonal" (aka disposable laborer). My time is about to come to an end in a few weeks. I'm hoping that I get to stay longer, but it depends on both performance and if they have the demand, making enough profit to keep any additional workers. Performance wise, I believe I've met expectations, even exceeded them. I'm not worried about my performance, but performance alone may not be enough... On average week days I don't make enough to pay my salary. Weekends, Saturdays I make just enough to get close, break even, or make a small profit for the mall. If other workers are not having better luck then...Oh well at least I have the experience I can put on my resume, and I will likely have good references to add.
---------------

November, we lost a cat. Sahib, my grandma's cat passed away after suddenly developing a urinary blockage. It didn't clear up despite having him catheterized for a week. For a day it looked like he cleared up enough to go home. The next night he blocked up again, and to be rushed to the emergency vet clinic.

The cost to keep him alive for another night was too much for my grandma to pay, not to mention that he would most definitely require surgery and that was in the multiple thousand dollar range. Left up to me, I would have sacrificed all my back paid SSI money that we're keeping in a trust to pay for college (if I can get back in) and paid for the surgery to give him a chance. I believe he would have survived and returned to the same healthy, happy cat we had before post surgery. But, It was not my place to make a decision (though I tried, believe me!). After a rather emotional outburst, I was pretty much forced into allowing my grandma to go through with having him put to sleep. I watched the final moments. It was heart-breaking to watch him struggle to pull the catheter out of his arm before the vet returned.
-
-
*Warning emotional stuff here. You may want to bookmark and read later if you happen to be like me and cry very easily. This is not exactly something you want to read on your work lunch break.*
-
-
Watching a cat die for the first time was quite traumatic. Immediately upon dying, the tail poofs up (like a frightened cat), becomes limp. The pupils dilate. He died with one eye open and one closed. His tail was lowered. I lifted it up and curled it around his back, like he used to naturally hold his tail. Writing this brings me into a crying jag, so I guess I'm not completely over my emotions over this yet... I can't stand to read the rainbow bridge poem, though I liked reading it before. It always brought tears to my eyes upon reading it, but for some reason after having a pet actually cross the bridge, it makes the poem feel a lot more emotional and tough to read. Upon leaving Sahib, my last words to him were "I hope it is true." thinking about the poem. I whispered t a couple times, the words repeating in my head.

He was a great cat. My main regret was not giving him the same attention I give to my cat (Waldo). Some of things that I would do that Waldo hated (or strongly disliked), Sahib loved. it didn't matter to him if I was teasing him or spending serious time. He loved it all the same. For instance if I pet Waldo lightly with my foot, he gets PO ed and lets me know clearly that isn't acceptable behavior. If I pet Sahib with my foot, he just started purring and rolled over, like as if I was petting him with my hand. It made no difference. He loved it the same. If he got enough, he opened his mouth, hung it there for a few minutes, sometimes with a quick meow. He was a very laid back cat, though he was no pushover. He sometimes gave a light warning nip if he felt he had enough. Otherwise he craved attention and was grateful for any he got. If he felt he didn't get his fair share of attention, he sometimes nipped grandma or I in random places, mostly the toes.

I didn't give him as much attention and cuddling as Waldo. Nor did I take as many pictures. I felt I would have a lot more time with him (being the much younger cat at only 4 or 5 years old) and Waldo being older, not as much time. I regret my reasoning. His life showed me a sad lesson; we don't truly know how much time we have with someone.


R.I.P Sahib. I love you and miss you dearly.


The last photo I took of him. I really wish I would have snapped more when he got home, after we thought he overcame his condition.


Shot at the vets office (his regular vet) before going home with two prescription meds and several cans of special diet food. Little did we know he would get blocked up and die the next day without getting a chance to even really use the stuff. Fortunately they allowed us to return the unused meds and food. They gave us back the credit we spent. The hand petting him belongs to my grandma. I couldn't get Sahib to look at the camera.
------------------

2010 opens a new chapter in our lives, in my life. Will it be a good year or a challenging one?

Some big changes are coming up. For one thing I will be moving out into an apartment. I don't know exactly where yet, but it is in the planning stages. I'm a bit worried. There's a lot I'll be giving up. (having a garden one of the main ones. I had great plans on expanding Grandma's garden in the backyard, but that may not happen...). I'm hoping I get to keep Waldo, and be allowed to adopt possibly another cat, ideally a young one to be a companion for Waldo and I.

On a smaller note, I find 2010 to be one really annoying number to type....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Too long....7 times pressed Page Down to reach the end. I read till the pics came up.

Now your blog is on my bookmarks.

:))

MJI said...

Try the mouse wheel or holding the space bar. That works too. Those pictures were of our cat that passed away.