Monday, April 21, 2008

What's wrong with this world?...Kids book teaching about mommy's new and improved look.

I just found this Jewel off of Newsweek today. Seriously, I wish we didn't have to live in this kind of world where people aren't happy to be who they and rather than seek ways to improve their character, they try to find easy solutions. Years ago it was The Swan... Now it's some kids book written by a plastic surgeon to explain why mom is getting "prettier" and "New and improved."

I find this book disturbing to say the least. If I was a kid and my mom handed me this, I'd be sad... It would be like a slap in the face, because after all we adults try to tell kids to be happy with themselves and have high self esteem for who they are. We try to encourage children to not judge people by looks alone... We teach them to get along with others, even ones who are different. After all everyone is unique. Being unique and being ones self is a valuable thing.

At least that's what I thought... Maybe I was wrong along. After all I am different. I think differently. Even so, I still can tell this book is a direct hypocrisy...

Forget all the stuff I mentioned above. This is the new generation... A shallow one at that; Superficial. Is there any hope for humanity?

Gahrrrrrrr! Sometimes I just want to gag and bang my head up against a wall really hard. What is this world coming to?...

1 comment:

heytheredelilah said...

you've got to be kidding me....I had heard about this book one morning while getting ready for work, and seriously thought the news people were joking. Yikes and crikey, what is this world coming to ?

but I need to watch it myself, I find myself making derogetory (sp?) comments about my aging face/body within earshot of my 12 yr old daughter -- NOT GOOD !

Thanks MJI