Monday, April 14, 2008

Discussions about Cure vs. Not Cure Autism

Someone on Autism Speaks asked a question to someone about what things would they like cured about autism and what things would they like to be kept intact. Although the question wasn't pointed at me I wanted to take a stab at answering. This was my reply:

Strengths of autism I wish to be preserved:
- Value for honesty. Many autistic people either cannot lie, or suffer a guilty conscience if attempting to lie. If I do lie, it is usually unintentional and I am quick to fess up. I HATE dishonesty with a passion. I also feel the need that everyone else needs to be honest as well even if the truth brutally hurts. "The truth shall set you free" is something I've heard along with, "The truth will always be found out." It makes no point to lie.
- Value for details and integrity: I am glad I spotted the fly pupae in the ketch-up dispenser at Mc D's. They were maggots earlier that week. No one bothered to clean the container, except for me. I didn't care how much ketch-up I had to dump out at my shift. My concern was for the health of the customers. I dismantled that thing and washed it thoroughly so no old residue remained. As far as I know I may have been the only person who bothered. Since I worked only once or twice a week, most of the week it got neglected and smelled rancid.
- Willingness to stand up for what is right regardless of whatever everyone else is doing. Since we are not popular to begin with and nor do we strive to be popular, it comes much easier to go against the grain to do what is REALLY right.
- Persistence to do in depth research on a subject. Very few people have the patience to research just about everything they can find on a particular subject to become a master at it. If an autistic person can "switch" obsessions from time to time like I do, then I get to learn a lot of stuff and use it to help me understand people and things.
- Some autistics have strong visual abilities. Temple Grandin is one. She could get down and see things as a cow would. That gave her a unique perspective to spot things other people wouldn't. Most people would be afraid to get down on all 4's as an adult in plain view of other people. This didn't bother her. I too have visual abilities, but I am young and still trying to find my niche so I can use them.
And any I didn't list.
---Things I'd like to see gone or reduced. "Cured" if you must.
- Inability to communicate. I honestly believe if one can help break this barrier, than a lot of the head banging, butting, biting, hair pulling, lashing out, and you name it will subside and be something that only happens rarely.I've found stating I am anxious or overwhelmed before really feeling it seems to help prevent a meltdown from occurring.
- Fecal smearing. See if they can be given something else to use for "art" and work on developing some kind of talent, or give them other things to manipulate with their hands.
- Potty training. I'd like to see autistics who struggle with this become aware of when they need to go before it is too late. If there's any thing wrong with the toilet, how it flushes, the "feel" of the toilet seat, or anything else bothering the autistic person, I'd like them to be able to communicate this and work out a solution.
- sleeping issues. That's a toughie I could never resolve, but at least I can be quiet at night (as an adult). I think a lot of it for younger kids is things like nightmares and sleep paralysis. Both are very normal, but with an inability to communicate, they can't express this being the cause of their nighttime freak-outs.

No comments: